IFSA-Butler is seeking an energetic professional for the position of Assistant Director of Health and Safety. This full-time, exempt position is based in Indianapolis and reports to the Director of Health, Safety and Security. This position will support the director in emergency response, assist with non-emergency student incidents abroad, as well as risk management duties. This unique position will also oversee health and wellness predeparture advising of student applicants, assist students in coordinating services abroad and arrange for special accommodations as needed. This individual will also monitor and respond to multiple areas of health and safety in the world as well as in the field of education abroad.
- Student incident and emergency response: Member of Crisis Management Team (CMT), assist CMT and resident staff during student emergency or incident abroad, share on-call emergency phone duty, review and update health and safety policy and procedures, serve as back-up CMT leader in the director's absence.
- Predeparture student assistance – Oversee all aspects of health and wellness predeparture student advising, work with program advisors on best practices and arranging accommodations for students while abroad, conduct one-on-one phone calls with students who disclose sensitive medical concerns, and create/review health and wellness predeparture materials.
- Insurance – Serve as point person for IFSA-Butler's international health and security insurance. Explain and promote the policy, triage questions and issues and determine course of action when problems arise.
- Risk management and student safety – Monitor world news events, U.S. and foreign governmental reports, and other resources in regions where IFSA-Butler operates programs; maintain knowledge and answer questions about health, safety and security concerns in program locations; review sponsored student events for compliance with policies and liability concerns.
- Publications, materials and web Content – Create and review IFSA-Butler materials and publications, online and print, for health, safety and security needs.
- Training and research – Monitor trends in student health and safety, provide reports/data analysis, develop training materials, provide training on IFSA-Butler best practices for student health and safety, and present at IFSA-Butler events, regional and national conferences as requested.
- BA/BS required, graduate degree preferred
- 3-5 years of professional experience in complex organizations and/or educational institutions, preferably in the field of education abroad, international education, crisis management, higher education counseling or other related field
- 6-12 months living abroad, either studying, working or volunteering
- Experience managing international crises and/or difficult student incidents or emergencies abroad
- Demonstrated record of sound judgement and decision-making skills in emergency situations with discretion to sensitive topics
- Understanding of medical/mental health issues in undergraduate population, and how they impact the study abroad experience
- Strong intercultural communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with diverse communities and stakeholders; exceptional public speaking and presentation skills
- Superb attention to detail, adept at prioritizing and multi-tasking; proactive and results oriented
- Flexible and able to adjust decision making; able to respond quickly to changing circumstances
- Proficient with information technology tools including Salesforce, Microsoft Office suite, Internet and social media platforms
- Knowledgeable about legal aspects of higher education regulations such as the Clery Act, VAWA, Title IX, FERPA and travel insurance, preferred
- Proficient in a language(s) in addition to English, preferred
- Able to travel for conferences and training, site assessments and/or emergency response.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three references to Director of Human Resources Mary Georgantes. Please reference "Assistant Director" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.