Peru Study Abroad Orientation and Excursions | IFSA-Butler
Previous excursions included, but were not limited to:
- Arrival and orientation
- Airport pick-up for group flight travelers (when a group flight is offered)
- Ten-day on-site orientation for semester/year students: includes transportation, accommodation, activities and most meals
- Students stay in a hotel for their first night in Peru and stay with their host families for the remainder of orientation
- Introduction to Peruvian culture
- Discussion of academic differences and expectations
- IFSA-Butler staff lead sessions on academics, living with a host family, integrating into the host university and more
- Welcome meal
- Trip to breathtaking Machu Picchu, which begins in colonial Cusco and also includes a tour of the ruins of Ollantaytambo. Read a blog about this journey!
- Trip to Caral, an ancient city dating back to 3000 B.C. that was discovered in 1994 and is still under excavation
- Visit to Huaca Pucllana, an ancient archaeological site in Lima
- Academic year students: excursion to the Amazon rainforest. Includes a visit to a shaman to learn about traditional medicine, visit to the Yagua tribe, a trip to an animal sanctuary, boat trip and night walk in the jungle. *Semester 1 students may also participate for an additional fee.
- Salsa and Latin dance lessons
- Thanksgiving meal (semester 2)