Republic of Ireland Orientation and Excursions | IFSA-Butler
Arrival and orientation
- Two- to four-day on-site orientation for semester/year students: Includes transportation, accommodation, activities and most meals. Orientation will be held in your host city.*
- Introduction to Irish culture
- Discussion of academic differences and expectations
- IFSA-Butler staff walk students through everything from how to succeed academically to integrate socially in the host university
- Shop for essentials, including cell phone
- Welcome meal
- Transportation to host university
* Students attending the Burren College of Art will have orientation in Galway.
- Two nights in historic Kilkenny: Includes Gaelic games experience, visit to Kilkenny Castle, city tour, accommodation, tranport and most meals. This weekend is for students on semester or academic year programs in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- Two-day Dublin weekend: Includes cultural event such as a visit to Kilmainham Gaol, trip to the Guinness Storehouse, music workshop, city tour and time to explore Dublin. Accommodation, transport and most meals included. This weekend is for students studying in Northern Ireland on semester or academic year programs.
- Three-day Belfast and Antrim Coast weekend: Includes daylong excursion of the Antrim Coast to the Dunluce Castle, Carrick a Rede rope bridge and Giant's Causeway. Black taxi tour of Belfast to learn about "The Troubles" and debrief with a local expert. Accommodation, transport and most meals included. This weekend is for students studying in the Republic of Ireland. Northern Ireland students can attend the coastal tour, taxi tour and meals.
- Local event in each city: Past events have included rugby matches, castle tours, theatre performances and comedy gigs
- Group dinners with IFSA-Butler staff in host cities
- Drop-in academic advising sessions
- Free hooded sweatshirt for students
- Farewell meal
- Prepare to Take Off workshop: Prepare to return to the U.S. and learn how to translate experiences abroad into future career and education opportunities