The ideal timing for studying abroad is different for every student depending on their academic plan and overall goals. If you are taking a break from your studies during college or before graduate school, or if you want to fit studying abroad into your graduate school plans, these IFSA programs are packed with experiences that will make the most of your time abroad.
Intern in Another Country
Internships abroad are a powerful opportunity to boost your skills and build your resume and future career, no matter where you are on your academic journey. Top IFSA program picks for credit-bearing internships:
- IFSA Study in London or IFSA Study in London Plus: part-time, credit-bearing internship opportunities at non-profits, corporations, consulting firms, local start-ups, and government organizations.
- University of Auckland: internships are open to students who enroll in at least two social science or humanities classes, with placements in various corresponding sectors.
- Semester or summer internship programs in Argentina: placements are available at English or Spanish-speaking NGOs, local corporations and government organizations.
- Reimagining Europe in Prague: placements are available with local and international companies and NGOs in areas such as social media, communications, photography, graphic design, event organization, and software development.
- Influence in Society and Business in Rome: our team will work with you individually to identify a placement in English or Italian. Past placement options include marketing for a cooking school, winery, or language school, video editing and creation for an environmental association, communications for a fashion and technology blog, and journalism work with independent magazines.
- Design Thinking, Business and Liberal Arts in Barcelona: our team will work with you individually to identify a placement in English or Spanish. Past placement options include work with companies such as an accounting firm, mentoring organization, corporate finance company, government tourism agency, software development company, provider of subscription-based kits, global manufacturer, and more.
For a completely new and different experience that will contribute to your professional skills, step outside of your comfort zone to explore a location that will provide deep cultural immersion and language learning. Top off-the-beaten path IFSA program locations:
- New Zealand: Known in Māori as Aotearoa, or “the land of the long white cloud,” New Zealand presents the perfect place to learn about Maori and Pacific Islander culture. Zero in on studying these cultures with specialized departments at host universities or explore the impact of European settlers with strong options in history, politics, and environmental studies.
- Sri Lanka: This tropical island country brings together study opportunities in many areas including Sinhala and Tamil languages, religious studies relating to the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, and Christian presence, and political and social sciences that further explore Sri Lanka’s past and future.
- Czech Republic: The European crossroads of culture and commerce come together in Prague to deliver Czech language options, an internship opportunity, and a plethora of classes at Prague College relating to business, art and design, media, and information technology.
- Mexico: Situated in the culturally and historically significant Yucatán Peninsula, our programs in Mérida offer not only Spanish language, but also a deep dive into culture, social science, public health, and more.
- India: A rising economic power and technology leader, India is the world’s largest democracy. With a 3,000-year-old civilization that is continually redefining itself, India offers rich, varied avenues of study. Opportunities abound within global and public health, Indian studies, religious studies, and Hindi and Urdu language.
Explore Health Careers & Build Your Skills
To prepare for a meaningful career in the area of life science, health studies, or nursing, your path may lead to medical school, further studies, or something new that you create for yourself. For an alternative study plan that still directly contributes to your goals, these programs provide hands-on learning:
- Life Science Career Accelerator or Life Science Career Accelerator Plus: The core class for these career-boosting programs was designed in conjunction with The Leadership Edge, one of the top talent management consulting firms to the life sciences industry. The class centers around career exploration and includes active learning opportunities to develop key skills and competencies employers seek in highly valued employees. Upon successful completion, you’ll receive a certificate to highlight your newly acquired skills to employers.
- Summer internships in Shanghai, Mexico, or India: These engaging summer programs offer health-related placements that will shine on your resume as you work toward your career goals.
International Experience, Wherever You Are
For a different approach to an international experience, IFSA also offers credit-bearing Remote International Internships in a variety of industry fields, time frames, and credit options. As a part of this unique, remote program, you’ll be matched with an international company for an internship placement that ties into your area of interest. Explore all the options: