IFSA | September 15, 2022
All Oxford Colleges: December 15
Based on feedback from the University of Oxford Colleges, IFSA is establishing an early application deadline of December 15th for Fall, Academic Year, and Spring Term Programs. By adding an early deadline, we expect to improve acceptance rates for IFSA students in these highly competitive programs. IFSA will still support Oxford applications through the final January 15th deadline.
Oxford GPA Increases
To comply with host institution admission requirements and best position applicants for success, the following IFSA program Grade Point Averages have been updated:
- Oxford, St. Catherine’s College, minimum GPA update: 3.75 (previously 3.7)
- Oxford, Lady Margaret Hall, minimum GPA update: 3.75 (previously 3.7)
Closures and Suspensions
Shanghai Public Health Track Discontinued
IFSA has made the difficult decision to discontinue IFSA Public Health courses in Shanghai. However, two electives from the Public Health program have been added to the IFSA Study in Shanghai: Social Sciences track – Public Health Policy and Practice in China and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
For students seeking alternatives, IFSA also has many great options for Public Health students in India and Mexico, as well as direct enroll at Griffith University, King’s College London, Monash University, University College Dublin, University of Otago, University of Queensland, and University of Sydney.
IFSA Sri Lanka Programs Suspended for Spring & Fall 2023
As a result of the ongoing political and economic instability in the country, IFSA has made the decision to continue the suspension of all Sri Lanka programs for the Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 semesters.
King’s College Summer Term Discontinued
King’s College London Summer Program will no longer be available as an IFSA program.
IFSA Shanghai Programs Suspended for Spring 2023
Given the uncertain border and Covid-19 situation in China, IFSA has suspended all Shanghai programs for Spring 2023.
University of Stirling Summer Term Discontinued
University of Stirling Summer School will no longer be available as an IFSA program.
Host Institution Departmental Restrictions
The following academic units are severely restricted or closed to visiting students for Spring 2023.
Consult the Academics Tab on each IFSA program page for details of all Class Restrictions.
- Engineering (excluding Biomedical Engineering)
- Informatics (i.e., Computer Science)
Queen Mary, University of London
- Psychology no longer offers open enrollment; three modules are available specifically for visiting students and vary by semester
- 400-level courses are restricted for study abroad students
University of Oxford, Worcester College
- History of Art
- Arts and Sciences (BASc)
- Computer Science
- English Language and Literature
- European and International Social and Political Studies
- Fine Art (The Slade School)
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Physics and Astronomy
- Political Science: Spring 2023 applicants are asked to choose an alternative department such as The Americas, History or Anthropology.
University of Oxford, St. Catherine’s College
- Computer Science
IFSA Program Changes
- Exciting new classes such as Computer Games Industry and Culture in Prague; Food Culture and Indian Society in India; The Economics of Professional Soccer in Barcelona; and Identity and Culture in Contemporary Yucatán in Mexico
- Internships are ON! in Barcelona, Buenos Aires, India, Prague, and Rome
- IFSA now offers a single 3-credit internship in the summer (roughly 15 placement hours per week). This provides students the opportunity to also enroll in one or two courses.
- IFSA Internships are suspended for summer 2023 in Mexico and Shanghai.
Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
As part of our Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú semester program, IFSA teaches one elective class and advanced Spanish language levels.
We are retiring the 4-credit Peruvian Social Reality class after Fall 2022, and in Spring 2023 we will begin offering the 3-credit Communities in Action: Lima class. You’ll recognize it as the same model we have introduced in Valparaíso where it’s taught in English, in Peru it will be in Spanish.
New Program Annoucements
IFSA January in India
January in India joins our IFSA January Programs line-up. Talk to us about our five January options if you have a J-term, Jan-Term, or extended Winter Break in your campus calendar.
New Summer 2023 Programs
IFSA is excited to announce the addition of new summer programs with through our partnerships with Queen Mary, University of London and University of Oxford, Lady Margaret Hall.
Host Institution Updates
- The National University of Ireland, Galway has officially changed its name to
Ollscoil na Gaillimhe – University of Galway.
- University of St. Andrews has a new state of the art music center and visiting students are welcome to select from several music electives or participate in several musical ensembles on campus.
- University of Adelaide and University of New South Wales are unable to offer their respective internship classes during the Spring 2023 term.
- University of the Arts, London is no longer offering their European Art History intersessional module.